Install Android 4.4.4 on Nexus 5 Easy
We will see how to manually install the Android 4.4.4 OTA file on the Nexus 5. Usually when Android releases an update it quickly shows up on Google Developers page as binary files. Using these to upgrade your OS will delete your files from the device. Flashing it manually the OTA file will keep your data and apps intact.
You will require a few programs to be able to do this, the programs are:
ABD Tools installed on your PC.
The update of Android 4.4.4 for the Nexus 5 (can be downloaded from Google).
Specifically for a Nexus 5 that runs Android 4.4.3 KTU84M you will get the KTU84P firmware update. If you do not have this you need to make sure you get it(Settings > About Phone > Build Number to check).
After you finish downloading the firmware to your PC, you will have to need it to something like Android-4.4.4-OTA.zip and transfer the zip file in the folder where the ADB Tools are. You have to make sure to have your USB Debugging enabled, but for more security you should back up your data before the process begins.
How to install Android 4.4.4 on the Nexus 5
- Shut down your Nexus 5.
- Hold the Power and volume down button until the Fastboot screen pops-up.
- The volume buttons can be used to select options from the Fastboot screen, you need to choose the Recovery mode and after that press the Power button to confirm.
- After that you need to select the Apply update from ADB, using the volume buttons again, and after that press the Power button to confirm.
- On your computer, hold Shift and right click in a blank area of the ADB Tools window (in Windows Explorer). Select ”Open command window here”. This will open the command prompt window.
- Connect the Nexus 5 to your PC using the USB.
- Enter the following in the command prompt the window : „adb sideload Android-4.4.4-OTA.zip”.
- Now all you have to do is wait for the install to be completed and then reboot your Nexus 5.